Search This Blog

Friday, July 23, 2010

Supporting Students in Military Families

"When the heart speaks, listen. Then respond compassionately and consistently."
Mona M. Johnson

I had the opportunity to attend an educator's workshop in Manchester on Wednesday where the topic was "Supporting Students in Military Families." Presenters were both military and non-military and covered a myriad of topics from the emotional cycles of deployment, deployment and students with special needs, basic military culture, designing lessons across the curriculum and ages that are sensitive to the military students, what homecoming and reintegration are like, and so much more! A workshop that began with a disclaimer that some topics would be emotional and if anyone needed to leave the room, trained counselors would available not only tugged at my heartstrings, provided much useful information and many additional resources but affirmed the mission of GADFS.

Before the presentations, we had the opportunity to go around the room, state our name and reason for being there. Of course, I gave my name, my title and a little about GADFS as well as my role in the group. I was the only non-school or military person in the room. Unhindered by my "difference", I participated fully in our breakout activities...or at least to the best of my ability. At our first break, 2 participants came to me and commented about the amazing efforts of GAFDS. Both felt we should be held up as a model for communities everywhere. Gushing with pride enough for all of us in GADFS, I agreed! One of the military guys (I'm not good with rank) also mentioned they had never had a library in attendance! The educator also praised our efforts. She was in awe. However the big payoff came as I left the room. The last presenter, a Colonel's wife, stopped me and quietly said, "Word is out there about what you are doing in Goffstown and I want to say thank you. Please take my card and call if there is anything you need!"


GADFS, KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!

No comments:

Post a Comment